10 Steps to Take Before You File
If you are contemplating divorce, it’s tremendously helpful to be as prepared as possible. Here are some tips to help you educate yourself as much as possible.
Essential 10 Steps:
- Educate yourself on the divorce, child custody, and property/debt division laws in your state.
- Create a current inventory of your financial assets (real estate, investments, household goods, vehicles, retirement plans, cash, and other liquid assets), whether owned jointly or separately.
- Create a list of all current debt, including creditors and amounts.
- Consider meeting with a financial advisor, such as your accountant or financial planner.
- Create a file with copies of all relevant documents relating to your situation.
- Verify the contents of any safety deposit boxes.
- If you don’t have credit in your own name, obtain and begin using your own credit card.
- Select a qualified, experienced divorce lawyer.
- Consider mediation as an option.
- Decide when, where, and how you will talk with your spouse about the decision to divorce.
This is great advice for anyone considering initiating a divorce, as well as very helpful information that should be provided to your attorney.
With a combined 30 years in family law, the attorneys at Jones Family Law Group, LLC, will provide the legal guidance you need. For questions or to schedule a confidential consultation, contact our firm today.
Copyright © 2023, St. Louis Family Lawyer, LLC. | All rights reserved.