If you are contemplating divorce, it’s tremendously helpful to be as prepared as possible. Here are some tips to help you educate yourself as much as possible.
- Educate yourself on the divorce, child custody, and property/debt division laws in your state.
- Create a current inventory of your financial assets (real estate, investments, household goods, vehicles, retirement plans, cash, and other liquid assets), whether owned jointly or separately.
- Create a list of all current debt, including creditors and amounts.
- Consider meeting with a financial advisor, such as your accountant or financial planner.
- Create a file with copies of all relevant documents relating to your situation.
- Verify the contents of any safety deposit boxes.
- If you don’t have credit in your own name, obtain and begin using your own credit card.
- Select a qualified, experienced divorce lawyer.
- Consider mediation as an option.
- Decide when, where, and how you will talk with your spouse about the decision to divorce.
This is great advice for anyone considering initiating a divorce, as well as very helpful information that should be provided to your attorney.
With a combined 30 years in family law, the attorneys at Jones Family Law Group, LLC, will provide the legal guidance you need. For questions or to schedule a confidential consultation, call 314-449-8830.